Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Gift

Jonah enjoying his birthday cake!
I have a request.

I am trying to figure out how to get through the next week intact.  Jonah's second birthday is quickly approaching and I don't know how it will feel to experience July 14th without him in my arms.  It scares me.  I don't want to descend into sadness, but I know it will be a difficult day.  How could it not be?  I can already feel the heartache swirling inside of me.  I don't know if I want to be with people, or if I would rather be alone.  Should I have a party, or slip away with Jordan into the wilderness?  I've never done this before, and Pinterest is no help for this kind of thing.  

As I've thought about what I want, one idea has surfaced again and again.

I want you...my friends, my family, people I've never met who read my rambling words, to do something good on Jonah's birthday. 

I want you to give him, and our little heartbroken family, a gift.  On Saturday, July 14th, do something kind. Reach out to someone in need. Tell someone you love them.  Buy your mom flowers.  Pay for someone's groceries.  Whatever you feel moved to do.  Keep it simple, and be generous with your heart and spirit.  Think about people who need to feel loved and then act accordingly.  You can work anonymously or share Jonah's story.  Tell those you serve about Jonah's beautiful and giving spirit. 

I'm giving you some time to think about this, but it doesn't need to be planned.  Act on those quiet generous feelings that you have within you.  I would love to hear what you do!  I think hearing about pure love being multiplied across the world in Jonah's memory will carry light into a difficult day.  So send me a message, or call me, or let me know on Facebook.

I too will try to think of an adequate gift I can give my sweet boy on his special day. 



For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethern, ye have done it unto me.  Matthew 25:35-40

7 comments:

  1. Julie, I think it is high time I left a comment to tell you I've been reading your beautiful blog since Michelle gave me the link awhile ago. Please know that we'll be thinking of you this weekend, & we would love to be part of your request to do something in Jonah's honor. We'll let you know what we come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,
    You and I both know Alta, who introduced me to your blog.
    I have a friend whose baby was born with a heart defect and died in the NICU six months later. Every year for his birthday, she makes preemie blankets for the babies at the heart unit where he was born. http://www.charityramos.blogspot.com/2011/11/hallows-eve.html
    I love the idea of doing service on Jonah's birthday. I'll keep Jonah in my heart and try to do some good on July 14.
    take care,
    becky o

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll make it through. You will, because your heart is true and loving. I've lost a grandson suddenly (at seven months), and know exactly the feeling of dread as his birthday or his day of death anniversary approaches. I'll re-post this, and also let you know of whatever kindnesses I do. What a beautiful way to celebrate his sweet, short life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,
    Our friend, Kieffer, shared your blog with me and brought to my attention that our special children share a birthday. My Merideth, who was born with a heart defect, would be 3 years old today. Since she passed away only a few days old, I don't know what it is like to lose a sweet, active toddler, but I have appreciated reading your thoughts, insights and testimony on your so-appropriately-named blog. I hope you and Jordan are able to enjoy a day of peace and happy memories today.

    love, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Julie,
    I have been thinking about Jonah today and how to celebrate his birthday. You suggested keeping it simple and so I did, my brother and sister-in-law are currently enjoying an evening out while their four kids are with me and my husband. They have a seven year old daughter who has been battling neuroblastoma for four years and have very little time to relax. Happy Birthday to Jonah and strength to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're day has been filled with more love than sadness. (Although, sadness is certainly understandable). I clicked on the Donate Life button on your blog and donated some money in Jonah's name.
    Much love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took two of my friends who are mentally challenged (but living in a group home and employed) to the Springville Museum of Art for the annual Quilt Show. It was absolutely beautiful! They enjoyed the color, creativity, and excitement as much as I did. Thanks for inspiring me to include someone else in a favorite activity, especially those who've never had an opportunity to attend.

    ReplyDelete